Mental Health First Aid
APW Training & Insight2 Mental Health – a great partnership
APW Training offer Mental health First Aid courses in conjunction with Insight2 Mental Health.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people
how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis. MHFA
England training won’t teach you to be a therapist, but just like physical first aid, it will teach you to
listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
Adult MHFA England courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every MHFA England course is
delivered by a quality assured Instructor Member who has attended our Instructor Training
programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and
supported while they learn.
What will I learn?
Learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions. What you learn will depend on the length of course.
Two Day – Mental Health First Aiders
A practical skills and awareness course:
A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including your own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to appropriate support.
One Day – MHFA Champions
An awareness and skills course which will teach you to:
- Recognise the main signs and symptoms of common mental health issues
- Provide initial support
- Guide a person towards appropriate professional help
- Be mindful of your own wellbeing
- Develop an understanding of how you can create and maintain a healthier workforce or community.
Half Day – Mental Health Aware
An introductory course designed to increase mental health awareness and give an understanding of
how to look after wellbeing and challenge stigma.
When you complete your course you will get a certificate of attendance and a manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it.